Gewgaws vs. Gimcracks

My dear as a matter of fact I have been a collector of gewgaws for all my life. I believe gew gaws is a northern word and gimcracks southern. Added to this I take umbrage with the connotation that they are gaudy. They are indeed beeuuteeful.

• 1.  Julie

I’ve lived in the south all my life and trust me, “gimcracks” isn’t southern!

May 11, 2008 at 10:57 am

• 2.  mum2B

heehee “gimcracks” ….. “geegaws….” I’ve lived on this planet all my life and have never heard of either! They sound obscene, but I think it’s hilarous that the mother uses the word ombrage while reflecting on her feelings toward others’ opinion of her collection ….

May 11, 2008 at 3:09 pm

• 3.  angela

“Gimcracks” is definietly NOT a southern word. I live in Georgia and I have never heard of it, but I will start using it now. It is a great word.

May 11, 2008 at 4:08 pm

• 4.  Ruth

You are obviously way to young!!!!!!

May 11, 2008 at 5:43 pm

• 5.  ELRJ

I love that this life-long, even avid, collector of, what I can only guess, are quaint and possibly gaudy novelties also uses words like “umbrage” and “connotation” and “indeed”. What, I ask, attracts her to these curious collectibles?

May 13, 2008 at 12:20 pm

• 6.  Jessie

I’m dying to know what they are….. What are gewgaws and gimcracks?

May 21, 2008 at 11:22 pm

• 7.  mom

After Jimmy cracked da corn he told me they really are rightly called bibelot at least last time he was in France

May 22, 2008 at 2:15 am

• 8.  mom's co-worker

I know & enjoy daily interaction with the mom of geegaw & gimcrack fame. She had a magnificent collection of geegaws & gimcracks in her former cubicle. Her last find almost made me scream.

My Missouri born (1880′s) wonderful grandmother used these words when I was very young. I remember them well.

Sadly, I am addicted to this stuff & have it all over the darn house. Mine are keepsakes, mementos, little tiny memories. Almost all can be described as geegaws & gimcracks.

May 23, 2008 at 8:21 pm

• 9.  snee

i suppose just saying “crap” would cause umbrage?

May 25, 2008 at 1:57 am

• 10.  web diversions

so am i to surmise that a “Geegaw” is the same thing as “knicknack”?

June 3, 2008 at 2:20 pm