Getting the Postman on Her Side

Backstory: My mom has been trying for years to get me to move back to Portland, OR.

My counselor, the postmaster, told me it was time for tough love.  I have to stop facilitating shipping boxes to the farthest place I could ship them.  I told him I was considering cutting you off and he said, “this is the perfect opportunity, lady–this is the heaviest, most expensive box going to the most expensive zip code.”

I said, she just loves that crazy NY and that zip code and he said…tell her we have crazy on the West Coast.  It’s called California and the zip code is much cheaper to ship to.

Seriously, that conversation just occurred.  I did go ahead and ship the box, by snail mail, and I committed to my counselor, the postmaster, that I would practice tough love going forward. :)

But I still love you madly!

Love
Mom
xoxoxoxox

• 1.  Elissa

Yep, we do have crazy on the west coast. Gonna recommend 90071 and 90069.

November 11, 2008 at 12:59 pm

• 2.  Macaronimaniac

I fled NY years ago, and love the crazy here in Portland (joyously weird versus NY neurotic). Maybe your mom could just adopt me? I’ll come right to her house to pick up the care packages.

You can have my parents instead. They live in a condo on Long Island and are nuts. Not in the good way.

November 11, 2008 at 1:14 pm

• 3.  Pat

My mom tries the same tactics on me to move back to Portland as well. Except she somehow gets lost when coming to visit me in Colorado. It must be the water up there.

November 11, 2008 at 1:56 pm

• 4.  CJ

My mom won’t let me move from NY back to Oregon. Seriously. :(

November 12, 2008 at 11:14 am

• 5.  MLo

Ok, I am from Portland and I got to school in AZ. It pains me every day that I am not in Portland. When did the idea of living in such an amazing city (save the weather) become like pulling teeth?

Ah, the youth today!

November 12, 2008 at 12:03 pm

• 6.  Pademelon

I moved from Los Angeles to Australia for uni. The mom pressure is amazing. The care package guilt often out of hand (and yet they refuse to let me pay for the shipping). I’m even getting flack for them having such a good time visiting that they want to come back but air travel is too expensive.

November 12, 2008 at 7:41 pm