All I Got For Christmas Was This Guilt Trip From Grandma

Yours is without doubt the prettiest Christmas card I have ever seen! We appreciate the picture (how you change, when we don’t see you often!) Now you remind me of our sister-in-law D.C., in her younger years! I expect it is the hair style.

And for me, there is no better gift than stamps. I go through them like they were free. (Thankfully, some of them are!)

But it saddens my heart that you and K. have, with a few exceptions, refused to help your mother around the house (specifically dishes!). After fixing a big meal for all of you, she is tired! She has not been well for years, yet no one pitches in to help her out. When does she get a break? The first thing you know, she won’t be around to “do” for everyone, and at that point, I expect there will be a few regrets. Please do me a favor and help her out once in a while when you’re home! You are never a “guest” in the home of your parents.

Love, Grandma

• 1.  Lily

Ouch. I felt the sting of that and she’s not even my grandma…

December 28, 2008 at 7:27 pm

• 2.  Annie

Maybe you should listen to your grandma….

December 28, 2008 at 9:18 pm

• 3.  ohiomom

Is your mother a mute? Can’t she speak for herself?

If she’s old enough to be your mother, she’s too old to get her own mother to fight her battles for her. AND you are too old for someone to have to tell you this at all.

December 28, 2008 at 9:36 pm

• 4.  EmGusk

I think Grandma is right…Too many people don’t help their mothers out! Get off of your butt and do something lazies!

December 28, 2008 at 11:20 pm

• 5.  Tammy

Yeah, does qualify for passive/aggressive but—-why the hell is there a need for her to write it??? Grow up grandaughter…………..

December 29, 2008 at 5:37 am

• 6.  jane

very nice letter. and yep, you need to get up off your lazy butt and help out…in fact you should be doing the whole thing and let your mom relax for a change!

December 29, 2008 at 10:50 am

• 7.  Steph

If she’s anything like my grandmother, she doesn’t know how much I actually do around the house. And if my mother EVER asked for help, I would gladly help her. Also, since my grandfather passed, my grandmother has no freakin problem worrying about my mother’s health, yet she calls her to do EVERYTHING for her, which I’m sure helps calm her nerves. There are always two sides to every story, judgers.

January 9, 2009 at 11:53 am

• 8.  Monkeyspeaks

Im with Ohiomom lol. When I lived at home my mother was NEVER short of “get off your ass and [insert task here].” Especially when I felt particularly lazy.

But I feel your pain. I wasn’t calling my grandparents enough and I got a call from my grandpa randomly that said I was slowly destroying my grandmother and I better start calling at least once a week lol. We email a lot now. She hasn’t said anything too postcard worthy yet though.

January 9, 2009 at 7:10 pm

• 9.  Liza

Your grandma makes me feel guiltier than my OWN grandma, and that is saying a lot since my grandma is considered the queen of guilt trips! You can tell your grandma that her reprimand has made an impact on me and I promise to always change my sheets on the bed I use when I go to my parents house!

January 28, 2009 at 2:58 pm

My family every time say that I am wasting my time here
      at web, except I know I am getting experience everyday by
      reading thes good articles or reviews.

August 30, 2017 at 7:20 pm

• 11.  Laurie

great points altogether, you just gained a new reader. What could you suggest about your post that you just made a few days ago?
      Any certain?

September 4, 2017 at 12:02 pm

• 12.  Efrain

Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment
      (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what
      I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
      I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything.
      Do you have any recommendations for newbie blog writers?
      I’d certainly appreciate it.

September 5, 2017 at 10:13 am

• 13.  potential real

Fantastic blog you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any user
      discussion forums that cover the same topics talked about
      in this article? I’d really like to be a part
      of online community where I can get feedback from other
      experienced individuals that share the same interest.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know.
      Cheers!

September 6, 2017 at 12:49 am

• 14.  web site

Great web site you have here.. It’s hard to find excellent writing like yours
      these days. I really appreciate people like you! Take care!!

July 9, 2020 at 12:38 am