Words of Encouragement

Backstory: After I got a D on my economics exam.

Honey, econ is for boring and ugly people. You shouldn’t be in that class, you’re too pretty and creative.  I’m sick of these hard classes. Next semester sign up for gym classes.

• 1.  helder

it’s at moments like these, they feel a urge to be a dad, just to be able to say these lighting things to a son of mine. Life is so simple, and sometimes we just need the right grown-up parent on our side.

May 1, 2009 at 7:56 pm

• 2.  Lily

I don’t think I’ve ever heard “encouragement” quite like this before…

May 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm

• 3.  grumpy

*angrily stares at my BA in Economics* I hate the poster’s mother.

May 1, 2009 at 11:57 pm

• 4.  ollie

Wow. There are so many things I want to say, but “wow” sums them all up.

May 2, 2009 at 5:45 pm

• 5.  Christie

Yeah I say “wow” too. I’m usually able to see the funny side of things in life, but if this mom’s advice is serious? Good Lord.

May 2, 2009 at 7:04 pm

• 6.  Lia

lol What’s with you grumpy people? The mom obviously isn’t serious, she’s trying to cheer up a daughter who just spent a fair amount of money on getting a D.

May 3, 2009 at 1:06 am

• 7.  Little Lemon

She doesn’t need ‘cheering up’ she need to learn to work harder

May 3, 2009 at 7:05 am

• 8.  amandashea17

I thought it was funny.

May 3, 2009 at 2:45 pm

• 9.  Lia

How do you k now she didn’t work hard, Little Lemon? There are some things people just aren’t good at, no matter how hard you try. I barely passed college math classes no matter how many hours a day I put into it and how many tutors I tried.

May 3, 2009 at 8:06 pm

• 10.  Megan

This reminds me of the “Math is hard!” Barbie doll…

May 4, 2009 at 4:44 am

• 11.  Jane

“When her offspring is threatened, the Mom adopts the ’1957′ approach, so named for its year of popularity.”

May 4, 2009 at 9:22 am

• 12.  P

Less hooch, more books. It aint that hard. Two graphs and a few concepts.

May 4, 2009 at 10:16 am

• 13.  j

The D in econ isn’t the problem; the poor role model is.

May 4, 2009 at 12:24 pm

• 14.  Jess

I wish my mom had sent me this. I studied with groups and everything when I took econ and still got a D. I’m majoring in Journalism and am still annoyed that I had to take econ and then repeat it.

May 4, 2009 at 1:50 pm

• 15.  sally

i think it is funny, and seriously the MOM IS OBVIOUSLY kidding and is trying to make her daughter feel better. lighten up, for the love….

May 4, 2009 at 2:02 pm

• 16.  Robert

the hottest girl I knew in college I met in an econ class. We both got C-… Not sure why she got one, but I got one b/c I spent too much time having inappropriate thoughts about her.

May 4, 2009 at 3:27 pm

• 17.  RH

Yes, some people have brains that just aren’t wired for certain subjects. I had a near perfect verbal SAT score but was just below average in math. Most of my colleagues think I’m brilliant, but it’s because I’ve chosen a profession I’m naturally good at. I’m always quick to tell them about failing Algebra in high school. It still stings!

May 4, 2009 at 10:10 pm

• 18.  Katchoo

Lia, the grumpy people are the Econ majors…Hee hee!

May 5, 2009 at 3:35 pm

• 19.  Mostly Boring

Gym isn’t hard?

May 5, 2009 at 8:46 pm

• 20.  KP_hated uni econ

I feel for the poster… I took 4 university econ classes and ended up with three Ds and a C, despite the group study sessions and a tutor one year. I think poster’s mum is just trying to be cute, and cheer a girl up after doing poorly in a TOUGH class. The post made me smile (and brought me back to some ROUGH all night study sessions!)

May 8, 2009 at 4:32 pm

• 21.  amanda

You mean your mom practically directly quoted from Legally Blonde?

“Law school is for people who are boring, and ugly, and… serious. And you, Button, are none of those things.” -Elle’s father

May 10, 2009 at 8:46 pm

• 22.  econgirl

Hasn’t anyone ever told Mom that economists do it with models? :)

May 14, 2009 at 2:24 pm

• 23.  e cig

Hi just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading correctly.
      I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
      I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

June 5, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I visit daily some web sites and blogs to read articles,
      but this blog provides feature based articles.

August 31, 2017 at 10:15 am