Learning About “Queer Day”

Backstory: sent to my sister and me, email subject was ‘Queer Day’.

Good morning ladies, if you are wondering what my subject line is all about, let me explain. Back in the days when I was in school, thursday’s were known as queer day. If you wore yellow on that day you were probably gay (a word that came much later). Wow how the world has changed huh? I wonder how many people today would be wearing the yellow compared to then. How was that for a little piece of history? Take it to your class rooms. I feel wild and sassy today. Hope this finds you both ready to MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!!

• 1.  JRG

The same word was used when I was also in school (66-70), but it did not have the “gay” connotation. Where I lived it just meant you were really different, usually by the way you acted, or you didn’t quite look like everybody, it even was used to describe some kids with physical handicaps. Man, how cruel we were as kids. I have a child with a learning disability and am seeing the effects of being teased and how they can affect kids. It is a struggle to try and keep up his self esteem, especially when other kids are calling him names. If only I would have known then what I know now.

May 7, 2009 at 12:16 pm

• 1.1  Diablos Advocate

Take your rose-colored glasses off: “Queer” even back in 1966 – 1970 meant “Gay.” “Homosexual.” And while many of us who were teens back then want to ‘tsk tsk’ ‘cluck cluck’ about what is this world coming to?’ Many also disparage today’s millenials. But, whatever triggered my recollection of this homophobic superstition ‘wear pink and green on Thursday and you’re QUEER” also made me remember we had some REAL bullies. As well as some guys that were real pigs. And surprise, surprise, the other social ills that we have put blinders on and blame on THIS generation also existed back then: child abuse; animal abuse; drug and alcohol use and abuse; unmarried underage kids having sex; kids – and adults- having physical fights with each other; school bullies were alive and well; and homophobia was rampant. This was just (As I recall) the beginning of where we initiated trend of making everyone, child and adult alike, a “criminal.” And kids – geez, just ‘not obeying your parents’ meant kids were labeled (by legal system) as “incorrigible” and could be placed in “juvie.” Didn’t matter if kids were acting out or refusing to obey for a REASON – like being abused, or sexually molested. YES, there were a lot of positives – my point isn’t to focus on negatives …. just a reminder that THIS generation isn’t the only one that’s exhibited ‘problems.’

August 2, 2017 at 6:46 am

• 2.  K

Hmmm…that’s queer.

May 7, 2009 at 1:47 pm

• 3.  Nickel

i think i’d like to hang out with this queer mumzy!

May 7, 2009 at 2:41 pm

• 4.  Mamainak

Oh how cool mum! :D

May 7, 2009 at 5:31 pm

• 5.  kristin

my mom told me the same story! only at her school, you were “queer” if you wore pink and green on Thursday.

May 7, 2009 at 11:02 pm

• 6.  kelE

Oh how odd… and then other people said their schools did the same. Kids are weird, I mean queer.

May 8, 2009 at 9:26 am

• 7.  Jerin

In my elementary school, it was green on Thursdays. I’m still traumatized from that time I forgot…

May 9, 2009 at 4:15 pm

• 8.  Kendra

My phone rings and it’s my mom.

Me: Hello?

Mom: I’m speechlessly happy! I just got back from The Container Store.

May 11, 2009 at 1:57 pm

• 9.  Billip

“I feel wild and sassy!” Only in America.

May 15, 2009 at 4:36 am

• 10.  jenifer

we did just green on thursdays…

May 18, 2009 at 11:48 pm

• 11.  Lola

Jerin – elementary school? Really? Puh-lease!

August 21, 2009 at 12:19 pm

• 12.  Paula Jones

A funny story to relate..back when I was in Junior High (63-65) I wrote a song called “I Wish It Were Thursday”. It was a very trendy song for the day and I taught it to my two sisters who sang it constantly. Then I got wind of Thursday’s being “Queer” day and I was embarrassed for it to be sang as I couldn’t be more hetrosexual…fast forward to my 60th Birthday when I recieved a DVD with my song put to music and a montage of pictures of me throughout the years…I loved it! and now all the kid’s in the family are singing “I Wish It Were Thursday”:)

June 30, 2010 at 11:03 am

• 13.  carl

I graduated from high school in 1970. I heard that phrase for many years before that. I grew up in Missouri and we knew exactly what it meant.

Sometimes guy’s would use it to win an argument by insulting their opponet. They would say something like ” Hey I’m not the one who comes in on Thursday morning wearing green like you do!”

January 1, 2013 at 7:53 pm

• 14.  MELISS

FOR ME, WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL IN THE 80′s:
      WEARING GREEN… ESPECIALLY ON THURSDAY… MEANT YOU WERE HORNY. AND, SO DID EATING GREEN M&M’s. ACTUALLY, IF I AM REMEMBERING CORRECTLY, ANYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH GREEN, WAS ASSOCIATED WITH BEING HORNY.

NOW AS AN ADULT, I GUESS EITHER COLOUR, FOR EITHER REASON, SUITS ME ;-)

March 22, 2015 at 4:59 am

• 15.  SoQBarufaldi

We stumbled right here from a different website and thought I might too check things out.
      I love what I see so now i’m following you. Enjoy looking over your web page for any second
      time.