Today in Mom News: Momma the Nudist

The website Babble has an essay in its “most viewed” column in which a mom says that she is going to be naked in front of her sons, even when they become teenagers. She is careful to note that she has very strict parameters involving her nudity, but that if her kids “stumble upon me in a state of undress, so be it. If they don’t want to get an eyeful—they will learn to knock.” What do you think about this mom’s declaration of nudity? When did you stop being naked around your own kids? [Babble]

• 1.  Holly P.

This doesn’t seem too out-there to me. She isn’t saying she is seeking to be naked in front of her kids, just not paranoid about it, especially in her own room. That seems justified. I always knocked on my mum’s door when I was a teen, knowing that sometimes people are naked in their room. Dashing down to get something from the laundry without a robe likely wouldn’t be my choice, but I doubt it will really be a problem for her kids.

February 19, 2010 at 9:11 am

• 2.  Diana

She seems pretty reasonable. It’s not like she’s wanting to make her home a nudist colony

February 19, 2010 at 9:33 am

• 3.  Michelle

I think she’s using common sense and that there will come a point when her sons do ‘learn to knock.’ My family is extremely modest and has had strong privacy rules for as long as I can remember (the ‘master bedroom/bath’ is off-limits to children without an express invitation), but that’s the culture of my family and it works for us.

This mom is following her instincts and her statements make sense for her and her family – she sounds like a great mom!

February 19, 2010 at 9:45 am

• 4.  mila

My sister-in-law and her family are also relaxed about nudity in the home, and have taught their kids from the beginning when & where nudity is acceptable – my niece and nephew (now 13 and 9) are some of the most well-adjusted kids I’ve ever met. I’m glad this woman has figured out that rather than scarring her kids, she’s letting them know that their bodies aren’t anything to be ashamed about.

February 19, 2010 at 10:24 am

• 5.  Jeannie

She seems….normal. My mother will freak if my younger brother sees her naked and makes a scene about it. However, she feels fine walking around naked in front of ME (her daughter) all the time. Even though I tell her it makes me uncomfortable, she still does it and says I’m being a prude. THERE’S a woman you should have the problems with.

February 19, 2010 at 1:27 pm

• 6.  maesie

People freak out way too much about nudity. Kids need to be taught that their bodies are natural things, and if they’re raised like that they’re less likely to have body image issues, self esteem issues, or fucked up ideas of sexuality.
      This mom has a good idea of what to teach her kids. She’s not parading around in front of hormonal teenage boys, but she’s letting them know that she’s not going to be ashamed of her body, they just need to respect her guidelines.
      We teach our kid there are appropriate and inappropriate places to be naked, and we also teach her that masturbation is natural IN THE RIGHT LOCATIONS, and she’s known since she was one and a half that if she’s going to touch herself, she needs to do so in the privacy of her bedroom/bathroom. She’s going to grow up with a healthy view of sexuality and parents she can talk to about anything.
      people need to calm down about it.

February 19, 2010 at 4:05 pm

• 7.  EarleyDaysYet

We grew up with a very relaxed attitude to bodies – between 5 kids, we had one set of PJs which was worn by whoever was sleeping over at someone else’s house. I’m 38 & still sit on the bathroom counter talking to my mum while she’s in the shower or getting dressed. If it’s matter-of-fact and age-/gender-appropriate, it’ll all be good.

February 24, 2010 at 5:58 am

Hi colleagues, its great post regarding tutoringand entirely defined, keep it up
      all the time.

August 31, 2017 at 12:40 pm

• 9.  best stocks available

Valuable information. Lucky me I found your website unintentionally, and I am stunned
      why this twist of fate did not came about in advance!

I bookmarked it.