Today in Mom News: How Did You Choose Your Child’s Name?

The excellent website Babble is fielding the following question from a stumped Momma-to-be: How do you pick a baby name? Jessica’s mom was inspired by the Merchant of Venice when she named her daughter. She thought she was being original. Little did she know that Jessica was the most popular name for girls in 1982. D’oh! We want to hear about how you chose your child’s name or how your mother chose your name. Post your stories in the comments below.

• 1.  Stacy

Ugh. This is such a point of annoyance for me! My mom picked my name, Stacy Marie, “Because she liked it.” How boring! I never met another Stacy until I was an adult. It’s not very popular where I am from, so I felt weird around the Jessicas, Jennifers, Michelles, and Nicoles. Although, I did like having two first names. (Stacy Marie was meant to be used as one name)

Compare that with my sister Michelle, named after an uncle (Michael), my sister Christina named after the nurses who delivered her, and my brother Russell, named after my father. Nice normal, common names that don’t have blonde cheerleader connotations. Sigh.

I guess at least I get a point for creativity.

March 5, 2010 at 11:51 am

• 1.1  L

If I’d named my daughter after the nurse who delivered her, her name would be Cookie!

March 5, 2010 at 2:41 pm

• 1.2  Stacy

lol! I guess Tina was lucky her nurses were named, “Chris,” and “Tina,” b/c my mom originally liked the name, “Tabitha,” for her. We talked her out of that, so mom now has a cat named. “Tabitha.”

March 10, 2010 at 10:57 pm

• 2.  Elise

I’m named after the song A Letter to Elise by The Cure, and my middlenames: Klara and Lisel were chosen because my mom had a dream about having a daughter named Klara, and she promised my great-grandmother that she would name me Lisel.

March 5, 2010 at 11:59 am

• 3.  Holly

My sister and I are both named after trees. Holly and Ashley. I think she used those baby name books that came with formula packages and looked for ones she liked. We still have one with little stars next to the names she liked. After she named me Holly, it was only natural that the sister had to be named after a plant, too. At the time, Ashley was just emerging as a girl’s name, so she thought she was being unique, too.

My mom and her sister were named after moon goddesses (Cynthia and Diane).

I was almost Holly Noelle because my mom thought they sounded nice together, but she eventually decided against it. I was born in May.

March 5, 2010 at 12:00 pm

• 3.1  Autumn

Wow! I was also almost named Holly Noelle. Very pretty, but would have been a sick joke, as I was born September 16th (the exact gestational period from a Christmas conception).

March 22, 2010 at 12:02 am

• 4.  Court

Everyone thought I was going to be a boy and no one had any girl’s names picked out. So my mom picked three names she liked and then polled the nurses. Ballot boxes and everything. I kid you not. And the only reason she like the name Courtney in the first place was because she new a man named Chip Courtney and thought his last name would make an excellent girl’s first name.

My name was supposed to be Kyle, by the way, if I were a boy.

March 5, 2010 at 12:36 pm

• 5.  Amy

I was going to be Erin, but then my cousin Aaron was born and stole my thunder. So I, along with every other girl in 1970, was named Amy. My dad always told me they picked an easy-to-spell name “in case you were stupid.” :)

I named my daughter Sarah and her friends think it’s a weird name! Go figure.

March 5, 2010 at 12:40 pm

• 5.1  kristin

“in case you were stupid”?? oh, help! my name is always misspelled, also from the 70′s.

March 17, 2010 at 1:35 pm

• 5.2  christie michele

My middle name has just 1 L… first name is long and mom worried I wouldnt remember the second L when spelling (ie my child isnt going to be that bright)

May 17, 2010 at 5:17 pm

• 6.  Suzie

I was reading “A prayer for Owen Meany” by John Irving while I was pregnant with my son. I loved that book, and voila!!, I have a beautiful son named Owen.

March 5, 2010 at 12:41 pm

• 6.1  NancyG

A friend of mine named her son Owen – she’s expecting her second child and I asked her if he/she will be named “Paid For”.

March 5, 2010 at 2:12 pm

• 7.  SororRavn

I currently have 2 girls with another due later this month. All three of them have names that come from mythology. Lilith – from Hebrew Marie (my granny’s name) Nu-Isis Babalon from Egyptian and the new one is Baduhenna Eir from Norse. I wanted to give each child a strong name to aspire to and the goddesses from the ancient mythos seemed most appropriate. ^_^

March 5, 2010 at 12:42 pm

• 7.1  Kat

Please tell me you’re kidding.

March 5, 2010 at 2:22 pm

• 7.2  Someone.

PLEASE. Oh my gosh.

March 5, 2010 at 3:30 pm

• 7.3  Terry Gladek

Oh, man. That’s just not right. Teach ‘em to fight and /or laugh early in life.

March 7, 2010 at 1:02 am

• 7.4  amanda

I can’t believe how rude you people are. There is nothing wrong with naming your child a strong name, most children develop nicknames by the time they’re in school. My sis in law named her daughter Unique, and was scoffed at by rude people such as yourselves. Her parents and family call her Nikki for short. It is very appropriate in this day and age to name your child something other than boring Nicole, Holly or Jessica etc.

May 10, 2010 at 2:46 am

• 7.5  plethora

The sad truth is, people who have names like Nu-Isis Babalon and Baduhenna Eir grow to hate their names, because people are cruel and they get shit about it their whole lives. And they have to spend their whole lives spelling it out for people. It’s frustrating, trust me.

And naming a child “Unique” is an oxymoron.

May 12, 2010 at 10:07 am

• 7.6  Angie

Seriously? If that’s what you want to name your children, that’s your right. But can you imagine the ridicule they will endure throughout their lives? How about trying to find normal jobs? It’s all fine and dandy to be original and to want to give you kids strong names, but you should probably think about how those will impact them throughout their lives.

May 19, 2010 at 2:39 pm

• 7.7  Stephy

Well I for one love their names. I believe they are all beautiful. These kids do not get picked on. In fact other kids love their names and dont make fun of them all the time. They believe in their names and dont fret about small minded ppl who would make fun of them just because of their name.

May 30, 2010 at 2:53 am

• 7.8  mrs. midwest

unique names are much more acceptable now. i like the names you’ve chosen, and i love the reason! you sound like a thghtful, supportive mommy.

pooey on the people who can’t handle change. once upon a time i’m sure the names you’ve chosen were common. back then it would have been weird to be named emily. things evolve.

July 29, 2010 at 2:34 pm

• 7.9  Elise

Seriously, I do hope you’re kidding.

July 30, 2010 at 10:38 am

• 8.  janessadawn

My mom picked my first name (Janessa) from some tawdry romance novel–I can’t remember the name any more. My middle name is like my aunt’s first name (Donna). The thing is, people are constantly botching my name, or calling me something entirely different–Jessica or Janell are favorites, even though their spelling is completely different. No one has a problem saying ‘Vanessa’ though!

March 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm

• 9.  janessadawn

Of course I remembered as soon as I posted. It’s from ‘A Woman of Substance’ by Barbara Taylor Bradford. Lol.

March 5, 2010 at 1:05 pm

• 10.  Rachel Ellice

My mom wanted my name to be Renée, my dad knew someone with that name who he couldn’t stand, so I guess Rachel was a close compromise. For my middle name I was named after a piece of music by Beethoven, “Für Elise”, my dad chose the spelling for my middle name “Ellice”. Unlike most every other Rachel I have met I am glad for the old fashion spelling of both my names as it is different and growing up in the 80′s no one else had my name, but it a pain because I always have people give me extra letters.
      My brother is Aaron because my parents wanted names that couldn’t be shortened either, and if he had been a girl he still would have been Erin.

March 5, 2010 at 1:36 pm

• 10.1  Elise

Isn’t that funny–my name is actually Renee Elise.

July 30, 2010 at 10:37 am

• 11.  Alane

My first name is actually mom mom’s middle name. My great-grandmother was named Aileen, and my grandmother came up with Alane in her honor when naming my mom. And, my mom passed it down to me. :)

And, to keep the family heritage alive, my middle name is my maternal grandmother’s maiden name.

March 5, 2010 at 1:39 pm

• 12.  Bronwen

My mom got my name from a character in a novel called “How Green Was My Valley.” The character’s name was actually spelled
      B-r-o-n-w-y-n which is the traditional Welsh spelling but I guess my mom wanted to make it even weirder and more difficult for people by spelling mine with a ‘w’. Having such a unique name has been both a blessing and a curse. But, I’ll take it anyday over the name I would have gotten if I were a boy – Bartholomew.

March 5, 2010 at 1:49 pm

• 12.1  Trevor

My name is Trevor, after the town of Trefor in Wales. (F is a V in Welsh) My great-grandparents on my mom’s side we’re from there. I have always liked my name and love that it has a story behind it. I want to name my future son something Welsh too but, as you know, Welsh spelling is goofy. I think Rhys would be a good Welsh name but my wife is not sure.
        A great aunt in my family never had kids and wanted someone to name a girl Sofronia Petunia… I am glad I was a boy…but my parents got a female cat.

March 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm

• 12.2  Nancy

I love the name Bronwen. My uncle loved ‘How green was my valley” ( and Greer Garson in it) ( and Diahann (?) Carroll)

March 6, 2010 at 7:42 pm

• 12.3  namenerd

Actually, Bronwen is the traditional Welsh spelling!

March 6, 2010 at 11:53 pm

• 12.4  Bronwen

Having such a unique name has definitely been an adventure. One of my favorite questions about my name, which I get almost daily, “Is that your first name?” There are so many ways I want to answer that question but I just smile and nod :)

March 12, 2010 at 3:11 pm

• 12.5  Karen

I dunno if you’ll ever see this … but, I’ll give it a go anyways.

Our family is *extremely* Welsh (Canadian, now. But the heritage is back to Wales, traceable to 12th C.) and there are lots of really great names available to think about.

If I had been a boy I would have been Morgan (I wish they had just gone with that, actually ; ) ) which can be used for either gender.

Other great names are: Owen, Dillan, Gareth, Gaven, Maddock or Maddox, Parry, Reece or Reese, Rhett (yeah, the Gone With the Wind guy was Welsh … Ha!), Tarrant, Vaughn or Vaughan – all for boys. Brannwen, Carey, Cerys, Dera, Eira or Eirian, Jenna, Linnette or Lynette, Meagan or Meaghan, Rhiannon or Rhiannyn, (Rhianna is also Welsh, but I wouldn’t advise that at this point, although it *is* pretty) – all for girls.

Anyways, here is a great site for finding Welsh names: http://www.babynology.com/welsh_babynames.html

Good luck!

March 31, 2010 at 12:10 pm

• 13.  pat

I like fairly traditonal names and names with some meaning. My first son is David “beloved friend”, my daughter is Elizabeth “gift from God”. When I was expecting my third child I couldn’t figure out a name since I had already used my two favorites! So we decided to name our youngest son Stephen Mark after his dad who is Mark Stephen so he would not be a “junior”! And Stephen means “crown”

March 5, 2010 at 1:53 pm

• 14.  Stacy

oh, fun fact: My husband was going to be named Stacy if he turned out to be a girl. My mother in law loves me b/c my name is Stacy.

March 5, 2010 at 1:56 pm

• 15.  Nanci

My son, Ethan, got his name when my husband and I both suggested it to each other at the exact same moment. Our daughter, Lily, is named (in part) for Lily Potter. We were going through all of the Harry Potter names and letting our son make suggestions, mostly just being silly (suggesting Bellatrix, Narcissa, etc) and decided we liked Lily quite a lot.

March 5, 2010 at 1:58 pm

• 16.  blair

My mother named me after one of her fellow Delta flight attendants. But having been born in 1982, everyone likes to assume that the inspiration came from Blair Warner on The Facts of Life. I think either one is a good story!

March 5, 2010 at 1:59 pm

• 17.  doree

I was named after my great-grandmother, Dora. My parents decided to give me a “creative” spelling which, combined with my impossible-to-spell last name, has led to a lifetime of name-spelling annoyance. But weirdly, for the first three days of my life, I was named Lee, and then my parents changed their minds. Many years later, I went to see a dog I was thinking about adopting… and her name was Lee. Needless to say I took it as a sign, and she’s been with me for almost 8 years!

March 5, 2010 at 2:03 pm

• 17.1  Dorea

We have the same name with different spellings! Mine was inspired by Dorian Lord on One Life To Live, but it took my mom 2 weeks to come up with it. She almost named me Cricket, so I’m grateful for my name, hard as it is for people to spell/pronounce.

March 5, 2010 at 9:36 pm

• 18.  Nicole

My mother chose my name from an Audrey Hepburn movie(How to Steal a Million) that she watched as a teenager- Nicole, pronounced the french way without the harsh ‘O’ sound.
      Trying to get people to pronounce it the correct way when I’m not even French is difficult though….

March 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm

• 19.  Selena

My daughter’s name is Leilah Dawn Rose. We wanted something that was unique – but wouldn’t get her beat up on the playground. We used the original Arabic way of spelling ‘Leilah’ to try and lessen the Eric Clapton references. Dawn is because my middle name is Dawn from my mother – Donna. And Rose just fit into the sound of her name – plus it gives her that one extra chance for when the middle names get yelled out! LOL She is always getting compliments about how pretty Leilah is – to the point now she is fed up of them!

March 5, 2010 at 2:18 pm

• 20.  Jessica

My mom thought she was being original when she picked Jessica, too! My grandmother’s name is Jessie, so they picked Jessica after her. My mom says she didn’t know any other Jessica’s when I was born. I had 5 in my kindergarten class.

March 5, 2010 at 2:35 pm

• 20.1  jess

I had three in mine. My mom’s alternate pick was Alexis, and I’m not sure why. Though it’s super common, I am definitely more of a “Jess” than an “Alexis.” I’ve made my peace!

March 7, 2010 at 9:14 am

• 20.2  MegP

That was my mom’s logic for choosing “Megan.” I graduated HS with four others in a class of 100. My college stats lab had five Megans and my TA was thrilled to find out I went by Meg.

My mom thinks I hate my name because I go by Meg, in reality it is because I don’t have to correct the spelling as often as I would if I went by Megan LeAnn, which is what many members of my family call me.

March 15, 2010 at 1:52 am

• 21.  Janelle

My name is Janelle. It is a combination of my mom’s name (Janet) and her sister’s name (Elaine). Put them together, and voila, Janelle. My brother’s name is Brick. It was my grandpa’s nickname because he had brick red hair. I think we were blessed with pretty cool names. Way to go, Mom and Dad!

March 5, 2010 at 2:46 pm

• 22.  Emily

My mom and dad came up with the name together. They wanted to name me Amelia for a family member, but they decided that might be a bit too mature for a baby…hilarious! Anyway, she wanted me to share her middle name Louise (what a joy when Thelma & Louise came out…) and my dad was momentarily in love with Emmy Lou Harris, so they decided I would almost be an Emmy Lou. Hence the name, Emily Louise. Pretty cute, maybe a little too cute.

March 5, 2010 at 2:50 pm

• 23.  Lyly

My mom wanted to name me Kelly, but in her words “back then (1978) EVERYONE was naming their daughter Kelly!”.

Three days before I was born, my dad and his bf went to a bar and got incredibly drunk (I should note at this point that my parents married and procreated rather young – they were both 23 at this point)

Anyway, as they were stumbling out of the bar to walk home, someone played “You’re So Vain” on the jukebox. My dad’s bf got so excited and stumbled on his way out the door, tripping my dad and sending him to the ground.

Take it dad: “I swear to god, I thought he severed my spine. I landed with a loud crunch. [Dad's BF] laughed his big ass off and said, “hey how about naming her Carly!”.

And so they did.

March 5, 2010 at 4:04 pm

• 23.1  mimi

love this story

March 17, 2010 at 2:21 pm

• 24.  Heidi

My parents only agreed on Heidi after my dad vetoed Gretel, Liesl, Anna, Brigita, and probably some more overly German names (as if my last name wasn’t a tip-off to my dad’s native land). It was actually the first movie he ever saw when his tiny village finally got electricity in the 50s. I’ve only met one other Heidi, and she’s 15 years older than me. My mom calls me Adelheid though, from which Heidi is derived.

March 5, 2010 at 4:22 pm

• 25.  Laura

My husband and I fell in love with the name Aurelia in the movie _Love Actually_, so much so that he turned to me and said to put it on the list of future baby names. A year later, we found out we were having a girl, and it was his first choice. I loved it too but thought it would be too weird or foreign for Alabama. However, it fits our daughter, is elegant, and we are complimented on our choice almost daily. BUT – it’s pronounced uh-RAY-lee-uh, not uh-REEL-ya.

March 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm

• 26.  JG

Actually, when my mom was pregnant with me there was a young actor that she really liked, his name was Jeffrey Hunter. So, my first name is after him, middle after my dad and so on. Now for my children, they all have biblical names except for my first who is a junior. Joshua, Jeremy (jeremiah), Aaron, Isaac, Timothy, and the best for last (lol) Hannah my only daughter, and belive you me she knows it!! Has dad wrapped around her finger. She was born on Valentines day in 2000. Thought that was pretty awesome.

March 5, 2010 at 5:21 pm

• 27.  Another Mother

My daughter’s first name is her paternal grandmother’s maiden name (Hollis) and her middle name is my mother’s middle name (Lynn). It’s a Southern thing; we just love to give our babies family names.

March 5, 2010 at 5:53 pm

• 27.1  Terry Gladek

Southern naming traditions are fantastic. Your daughter’s name is lovely.

March 7, 2010 at 1:08 am

• 28.  Wendigo

I have two daughters: Isabel (a name we just really liked) Inez (both of our grandmothers were named Inez!); and Olivia (actually, I got Olivia from ‘Designing Women’ I just loved the way it sounded-I still do) Michael (we decided the baby would have the middle name Michael whether it was a boy or girl, for the Archangel, the patron saint of police).

March 5, 2010 at 6:09 pm

• 29.  Katlyn

I was named last minute. My name was supposed to be Kathleen, but my grandmas talked my parents out of it at the last minute possibly because that was the name of my mom’s high school friend who committed suicide. My dad picked the spelling, and I am forever being called Cat-lynn when it should be Kaitlyn or any of the millions of variations. My middle name is Camille after one of those grandmas I mentioned earlier. All of my sisters have names with letters like y or g because they drop below the line, and my mom liked writing them. We, also, all have middle names that came from grandmas. My brother is named after a song and my dad.

March 5, 2010 at 8:18 pm

• 30.  Bonnie Marie

My name is Bonnie Marie. My mom’s name is Bonnie and my Aunt, her sister, is named Marie. Seems simple story, I’m named after them. My mom is weird though, she was reading about a girl who had passed away named Bonnie Marie and thought the names sounded good together. So my mom named me after a dead girl. :)

March 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm

• 31.  Cheri

My Mom was expecting fraternal twins and she decided to name us Sonny and Cher (it was 1967). Thankfully, at the last minute, she changed her mind and named us Eric and Cheri. Wow, did we get lucky or what???

March 5, 2010 at 10:14 pm

• 31.1  Ariadna

Ragazzi ma state parlando senza cgiinzoone di causa, ormai il gioco completo e verr rilasciato in europa il 19 di questo mese e se volete dei video andate su youtube. Un gioco per essere rilasciato in Europa dev’essere pur per forza multi5.

June 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm

• 32.  Kathie

I was named b/c my mom always wanted a daughter named Kathy, but she wanted to be original so she used ie instead of y.

My daughter was going to be Elena, but when she was born I took one look at her and said, “she is not an Elena!” We ended up with my first idea for her name, Susanna. My mom’s middle name is Sue and my husband’s middle name is Ann – the name honors both of them but is still her own and I like that it is uncommon yet normal. (We get a lot of singing, “Oh, Susanna, oh don’t you cry for me…”)

She was without a middle name for two days. We finally went with Elaine. Most people think that is the family name, but it isn’t at all. We were running out of time, kind of liked it, and it was a variation of Elena.

I never meant for it to be such an old-fashioned name, and no one would ever accuse of acting old-fashioned, but it totally suits her. No nicknames even remotely fit her personality.

March 5, 2010 at 10:19 pm

• 33.  Chelsea

I used to hate my name until I found out why my mom named me. Turns out Chelsea was the name of her favourite character on her favourite soap opera. I was already into acting by the time I found this out and suddenly loved my name, there was a story behind it that gave me an excuse to be so dramatic. Plus, I thought, “jeez, no one else can say this about their name!”
      Last year another, younger Chelsea joined my drama club. Her mother named her after her favourite soap actress.
      I don’t know how to feel anymore. At least I can say I had it first!

March 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm

• 34.  Celeste

My parents wanted to name me Mary after my great-grandmother, but couldn’t find anything good to go with it. Then they watched some special on TV about the Bermuda Triangle and lo and behold there’s a boat named Mary Celeste. So yeah, I’m named after a boat :(
      When I was pregnant with my son, my husband and I were watching the X-Files from season 1. People often ask if we named him Fox after Fox Mulder, but honestly, I just liked the name. My husband is quick to say we did though!

March 5, 2010 at 11:01 pm

• 35.  Anne

My parents never figured out a boy’s name, so it’s good they just had girls! We have classic, timeless first names, which were long enough that when combined with our last names we often found ourselves dreading substitute teachers’ attempts at guessing what our full first names were. To compensate we ended up with short middle names; mine (which I’m using as a screen name here) is my mother’s own middle name. Oh, and my parents tried NOT to use any names from family or friends (my dad is a Jr., and his parents really wanted me to be the feminine version of that – Phyllis, really?), although several people with names somewhat related to my sister claim she’s named for them.
      I have married into a family (European) who believe the only way to name first born sons is grandfather’s name as a first name and father’s as the middle name. I hope we can get out of it, or else we’re ending up with a Fred.

March 5, 2010 at 11:11 pm

• 36.  Ema

My parents were going to name my sister some really odd name, then my dad was watching a beer commercial and really liked the name of the woman (TJ) on it so he told my mom she could have any name combination as long as she was TJ. My mom finally settled on Tami Jo.

My dad is technically Charles Edward the 3rd (though he doesn’t go by it) and he and my mom wanted to keep his side of the family while naming my brother, but not make him the 4th. They settled on Charles Paul (after my dad’s uncle).

When my mom was pregnant with me she wanted to name me Stacy, but my parents weren’t sure about that name. The my dad decided he wanted my name after his side of the family. My mom found a way to combine the name of my dad’s mom, Emma, and his two sisters, Glenda Gene (Gigi) and LeeAnn. Leading to my name Ema-Lee Gene. Ironically, my dad was ok with Emma, but thought that Emily was too old fashioned of a name. I was born in ’87, it was the most popular name for a girl in the 90s.

As a reference to anyone looking to name a kid, don’t add a hyphen (the -) most computers don’t accept it as part of a name, and many people think that Lee is my middle name.

March 6, 2010 at 10:13 am

• 36.1  Terry Gladek

Our nanny has a hyphenated name and it drives her nuts too.

March 7, 2010 at 1:10 am

• 37.  Tiffanie

My name is quite normal except for the spelling and I hear that I was named after the jewelery store. My middle name, Kristina, is from a friend of my mom’s.
      My sister has the most wonderful name EVER. My grandmother wanted my mom to name my sister Dawn but since mom wanted us to have the same initials she swapped out the D for a T and voila, Tawn. Her middle name is also unique: Keyna. I have no idea what it means but I haven’t found another one like my sister.

March 6, 2010 at 11:04 am

• 38.  angie

I was originally supposed to be a Tracy Danielle. I have two older brothers who actually ended up naming me. My mother when to the OR willingly after Thanksgiving, as I was apparently not ready to pop out.

So, she went to set up the appointment, etc. and took my brothers with her. My dad worked graveyard shifts and could never hear the phone from the bedroom. So, she gets there and they decide to send her on up. In the eleveator, she starts hemoraging and they do an emergency C section.

After everything happens, she is in the room with me, my two brothers and a crazy praying lady in the next bed. So, my brothers decided I looked like an angel and asked my mother if I could be named Angel. She said no. And so they asked if Angela would be okay. She said fine, pick a middle name. They picked hers, and now I was Angela Lynnette. However, according to the rest of my family, they never once called me Angel–they insisted on Tooky Bird for reasons unknown to me.

March 6, 2010 at 11:27 am

• 39.  Diana

Around the time of my birth, my parents were bickering over my name. My mother wanted Susan, my father wanted Meghan. Neither would give up on their crusade to get their way. My sister was 7 at the time and she came home from playing with her friend Diana one day and told my mother that she thought I should be named Diana. My mother liked the name and brought it up with my father and my first name was born! Being an 80′s baby, everyone thinks I was named after Princess Diana, but it was my sister’s friend Diana who gave me my name.
      My middle name is my mother’s maiden name. She wanted me to have the maiden name of one of my grandmothers, but their maiden names were Kuhl (pronounced cool) and Gross. She told me she that she couldn’t do that to a baby so I got stuck with Robinson instead.

March 6, 2010 at 11:52 am

• 40.  Laura

My mom named me after four people. My three names are Laura Elizabeth Marilyn.

Laura was my great-grandmothers first name, and is also my mom’s but she goes by her middle name, Janice.

My two middle names are from her mother, Elizabeth Marilyn.

Not too exciting, but I like that they are names that come from the family. So cool to read where everyone elses are from!

March 6, 2010 at 1:12 pm

• 41.  cherie

I was supposed to be Jennifer, until 2 weeks before I was born and my mom found out that it was the name of my dad’s last TWO girlfriends. Needless to say…

March 6, 2010 at 1:27 pm

• 42.  Fanboy Wife

My first name was a variation of my great-grandmother’s name. My middle name came from a character in King Lear (because my mother was an English major). I have unusual, yet pronounceable, spellings for my names.

March 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm

• 43.  Rhiannon

Myself and my four siblings all have fairly classic English or Welsh names. As far as I know, I am only named Rhiannon because my parents thought it was a pretty name, although everyone asks me if I was named after the Fleetwood Mac song.

March 6, 2010 at 4:14 pm

• 43.1  Alicia

One of my best friends is named Rhiannon, for the same reason. The easiest way to drive her up a wall is to insist that it was after the song.

March 6, 2010 at 11:17 pm

• 44.  Brittany

Everyone thought I was going to be a boy (Zachary) until my grandmother had a dream that I would be a girl and be born on the 24th of May. Both turned out to be true and the girl name my mother had picked (Alexandria) went right out the window during an episode of Dallas she was watching in the hospital. Actress Morgan Brittany was her inspiration. My mother, too, thought she was being original. Little did she know that I would end up graduating one day with 15 other girls named Brittany.

March 6, 2010 at 4:55 pm

• 44.1  Karen

Hey … Alexandria is my middle name! : )

it’s for the Great Library, actually … both my parents love books.

March 31, 2010 at 12:24 pm

• 45.  Sho

My mother chose to curse me with my name, Susanna, It’s Hebrew. I am not Jewish, I believe some of my ancestors were. The only problem is in the Hebrew language it’s pronounced “Shoshanna”, of course who would know that, other than the few Jewish people I’ve run in to who completely get it. I was told by my mother she did this to trick my father, he wanted myself and my brother to be named after them (her name is Susan). She got him to agree to Susanna, of course never telling him her true intention. He to this day does not believe me about my name. And to top it off… I didn’t even know that was my real name until about 16 when I got my first job! Everyone called me Annie.

March 6, 2010 at 6:46 pm

• 46.  Nancy

I named my son Robert Atticus. ‘To kill a mockingbird’ has been my favorite book since 1972. Robert was because we could only agree on Arthur or Robert. He was the breathing image of my dad, Bob, so Bobby he is.

March 6, 2010 at 7:46 pm

• 47.  Kristi

My older son is named Logan Scott after two comic book characters. His father picked the names when we were 15, and I agreed that if we had a boy he could choose the name. My younger son is Dane Daniel. Dane would’ve been my name had I been a boy (my dad’s side of the family is from Denmark) and Daniel is the middle name of both his dad and his paternal grandfather.

March 6, 2010 at 8:34 pm

• 48.  Casey Rose

My mom was (is) a hippy. So Casey came from The Grateful Dead’s “Casey Jones” and because she believes that the hard sound of the C would make me tough. Then Rose for my middle name because roses are soft and pretty but have wicked thorns, thus bestowing me with an earthly balance.
      It’s cute because my dad (ex-biker) completely disagrees and says Casey, with its traditional Irish Gaelic spelling came from Tiernan O’Casey, a famous woman warrior who took up her husbands sword and ran into battle after he was killed.
      They’ll never agree on the decision behind my name.

March 6, 2010 at 9:43 pm

• 49.  Saz

My mama wanted to name me Rhiannon, my father wrote “Sarah” on the hospital bracelet before mama could do anything. By the time the nurses were calling me Sarah it was too late.

The real curse was my middle name, which they gave to my brother, my sister and me. It’s my father’s name, which was fine for the brother, but us girls got teased mercilessly.

These days I go by Saz (Mama’s nickname for me since I was a kid, the father hates it), and I pretend I don’t have a middle name.

March 6, 2010 at 9:52 pm

• 50.  Alicia

My mom, in her infinite creativity, named me after a street sign that she saw, and saddled me with a middle name that I hated (which I do not use, to this day. Instead, I took my grandpa’s middle name). My daughter, on the other hand, got stuck with her parent’s collective geekiness – first name from a Sandman comic, middle name Mara-Jade after the Star Wars character. She’ll make some dork so happy one day.

March 6, 2010 at 11:23 pm

• 51.  Kenzie

My (late) mum said that if I was born light skinned, then she would name me”Kenzie” and if I was born dark skinned( my father is native/french), she would have named me “Quinn”. Kenzie means “the light one”, so she named me Kenzie when I was born. My middle name is my grandmother’s middle name, Miriam. I quite like my name.

March 7, 2010 at 9:59 am

• 52.  isewquilts2

UGH–names!!! Both DH and I are teachers, and for every single name one of us came up with, the other would say NO because they had a rotten kid in a class with that name! Child number 2 was “baby boy lastname” in the hospital after he was born because we STILL hadn’t agreed on a name. 24 years later, and I still don’t like the name of either of our boys!

March 7, 2010 at 11:58 am

• 53.  Erica

We are big on family names in my family, being from the south. I am the third of five children, and the first girl that my father got to help name. I am named Erica after his favorite aunt, and Elaine after my godmother. However, my dad informed me when I was 23 that he was wrong in his memory, and his favorite aunt was actually Aunt Riitta, not Aunt Erica. He actually really disliked his aunt Erica. Though he offered, I declined to change my name. After 23 years, I was kind of attached to it.

We all have family names. My sister and brothers are named after various aunts, uncles, and grandparents. It is definitely a southern tradition, but one that only one of my siblings has carried on.

March 7, 2010 at 4:34 pm

• 54.  Robin

I wanted my daughter, who is almost 30 now, to be named after her late grandfather, Irving Lester (no groans, please). I wanted “Lisa”, my ex wanted “Ilissa”, we settled on “Ilysa” (pronounced “Il-lee-sa”)–and that was before we knew we were having a girl. When she went to school, no one knew how to pronounce her name correctly and she ended up telling all her teachers her name was Lisa, my original choice. Guess we were lucky she wasn’t a boy. ;-)

March 7, 2010 at 6:12 pm

• 55.  Heather W

My boys’ names have followed a Welsh and family name scheme. I thought each child should have a unique name (no living relative) for a first name, then honor the family with the middle name. So – my eldest is Owain Robert Phillip (Welsh name, my dad, my father-in-law); my youngest is Dylan Alexander (Welsh name, his dad). I could go on naming Welsh boys until I had a baseball team: IF I were to have another boy, he would be Rhys-Morgan (Welsh name, my sister-in-law); then Llewelyn Rainey (Welsh name, my mom’s family name) and so on. If I had girls, heaven help me!My husband and I could never agree on girls’ names. But if I get 3 female dogs, cats or birds, they would be Rose, Lilly and Violet (red, white and blue, get it?)

March 7, 2010 at 6:23 pm

• 56.  MRSms

I’m another Southerner and we are big on family names. I got lucky, my mom thought about naming me after her best friend, but didn’t. They called her Rubber Belly, her real name was Ruby Bailey. Instead I was named for my mom’s favorite cousin, Martha and Ruby’s mom, Ruth. My daughter was named after her grandmothers Mary and Katherine. I always tease her that if it had been entirely up to me I’d have named her P. Waddley Squat.

March 7, 2010 at 9:16 pm

• 57.  Emily

My mom chose my name, “Emily,” from a little girl in diaper commercial that aired on television while she was pregnant with me in 1976.

I vaguely recall sitting in French class in 8th grade, discussing the names of our future children with the other girls. That’s when I first decided on the name “Tuesday” for my daughter. About 16 years later, she was born. The Lynyrd Skynyrd song, “Tuesday’s Gone” sealed the deal, and my Tuesday turns four next month.

March 7, 2010 at 10:06 pm

• 58.  Amelia

I was actually going to be called Catherine for a while. When I was born my parents were still arguing – mum wanted Emily, dad was Team Catherine. Then, about 3 days into my life, dad was reading a newspaper article adn found the name Amelia. He liked it, suggested it to mum and suddenly I had a name.

Dad can’t remember what the newspaper article was about, but mum swears it was not about a crime. I’m not so sure…

March 8, 2010 at 7:59 am

• 59.  Melanie

One of the names my mother liked was Belinda — she thought she would call me Bindi. So my name would be Bindi Brooks. Thank God she met the severely retarded child named Melanie where she worked as an aide. So yes, I am named after a severely retarded child.

March 8, 2010 at 11:54 am

• 60.  lisa

I knew what I was naming my first daughter long before I was even pregnant with her. I had just read the book Pillars of the Earth and the main female character was named Aliena. I loved the name and the character so after reading it, I told my husband that our first daughter would be named that. I spelled it Alayna to hopefully help pronounce it the way I wanted it said. (short A-long A-short A). And I wanted something that was more original without being weird or made up. My husband then got to name our second child and had always wanted to name his child after his deceased father. So we were going to have a Ray regardless of the sex. We ended up with a Raye Ann.

March 8, 2010 at 12:30 pm

• 61.  wendy

Well my name didn’t even exist until Peter Pan, so it’s kind of a nickname made into a real name. My husband, Mickey, is also named a nickname so we match!

We named our first Wolfgang, because we’re both part German and the name is cool and unusual without being made up. It also means “approaching Wolf” which is vaguely menacing, so even more cool. We named our second Axel to match the Germanness of the first and because it has an X in it, therefore making it cool. He could have been called “Ax” in highschool, but he didn’t actually make it. So we had Giacinta next, after my Italian great great grandmother. We call her Gigi.

March 8, 2010 at 12:31 pm

• 62.  Shannon

I named my first daughter after the pharmacist who filled all my fertility drugs(Molly)…and the second after the nurse at the OB’s office who confirmed I was pregnant/the main character from the Thorn Birds One was Megan and one was Meghann so we split the difference – she’s Meghan)!

March 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm

• 63.  Nissa

Nissa- the Danish word for faery just sounded to cool for the rents to pass up apparently. So they were mean when they decided that one, seriously?
      and my middle name
      Deborah- Means strength and the only reason i got that was i was born at 20 weeks, and they wanted to give me strength through the name to live.
      Nothing really exciting
      and my first son is Dante, after Dante Alagarhi the writer of the devine comedy of course!

March 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm

• 64.  Smith

I was named after my father’s favorite granny and I got my middle name, Amber, because my parents were quite certain I’d be born with red hair.

When my mom was pregnant with my little sister (I was 3), I decided that I should be involved in picking her name. I wanted her name to be Jennifer, after my best friend in preschool. They compromised and Jennifer is her middle name. She says its unoriginal and wishes she had a more creative middle name, but I think she secretly loves it!

March 8, 2010 at 8:34 pm

• 65.  Liz

I was named after my great-great grandma, who I actually got to meet. My husband and I are big on family names. Our daughter’s name is Grace Elizabeth, with Elizabeth being big on both sides. If we have another girl we like Rosalie Mae, which both names are on my side of the family, my husband likes Rosalie Kay (His mom’s middle name) . If we have a boy next, I like Charles Edwin (my maternal grandfather and my fathers middle names). We like the old fashioned names with character and history within the family.

March 8, 2010 at 10:49 pm

• 66.  Jessica Michele

My first name is kinda boring – I was supposed to be a Jennifer but then they thought about and our last name ends in “er” so they thought it would be too much errrr and named me Jessica instead.
      My middle name is the cool part – I only have 1 L in my middle name because I’m named after the lawyer, Michael, who oversaw my adoption.
      Also, just for kicks, I have a friend who’s last name is Curtin and her parents almost named one of her siblings “Lacey”! Luckily they did not!

March 9, 2010 at 2:41 am

• 67.  Ivrielle

My Mother is very creative; in Jewish tradition, we’re named after family member who have passed away, and my grandfather’s name was Irving. So, she took IRVIng, and switched it to IVRI, and then added the French ending “elle.”

Side note, my nickname is Evi (long E) – it’s not really related, but hell, it’s a lot easier to say.
      My sister’s name is Lishara, so yes, we are a creative family!

March 9, 2010 at 10:10 am

• 68.  Kelsey

My parents named both my brother and I very long awkward names. My full legal name is Kelsey Brooks Dorothy Margaret Lastname, and my brother is Kristofer Erik Paul Norman Lastname. We both have an original first name, then first middle name is also original, then the next two middle names are after grandparents. My first name was decided upon because my father wanted Kieristin and my mother wanted Kelly. My mom couldn’t pronounce Kieristin, and my father thought Kelly was boring, so they compromised on Kelsey, when I was named in the early 80′s Kelsey was uncommon, now I seem to hear the name all over the place.

March 9, 2010 at 10:15 am

• 69.  penny

I was the youngest of six children, all my siblings are names after family members except me, I thought they ran out of names and money, It could have been- Bessie or Clementine both of my grandmothers names, glad they picked Penny instead. My husband is a Jr. but we refused to have our son a 3rd, he should have his own name. His family got over it.

March 9, 2010 at 3:47 pm

• 70.  Torri

Like others in ther Jewish Tradition, I was named after family members who had passed away. My aunt Vicki (Victoria) had passed away one summer, and my parents had flown to Memphis for her funeral. My mom was feeling quite ill at the time, and was sure she had the flu. My other aunt (her older sister) convinced her to take a pregnancy test, and sure enough, it was positive!
      Apparently when I was born, I didn’t look like a Vicki, so I was given the nick-name “Torri” (with two r’s for good measure).

March 9, 2010 at 3:50 pm

• 71.  DRB

I was handed a list of names of ND football coaches and told to pick a first name. Ended up picking Charles after Gus Dorais; we call our Charles “Gus” as well. I have a lot of Charleses in my family, so I was soft on the name already. Middle name was already settled by husband, after another ND coach.

Oh yeah… I hate football.

We never picked a girl’s name, but I would have liked Naomi Louise after my grandma and a great-great-aunt. Those were their middle names; they shared the same first name (Ethel).

March 9, 2010 at 4:46 pm

• 72.  E

When my mother was pregnant with my older sister, my parents like the name Kirin, after the Japanese beer. They decided that it wasn’t so great to name a kid after beer, so they went with a Norwegian name (my dad’s heritage) for my sister; Kristen. Though she went to school with a bunch of people with the same name, the rest of them spelled it Kristin. We ended up later on with a cousin name Kirin, just spelled differently.

When it came time for me, my parents were convinced that they were having a boy. My father was named after his grandfather, with the same first and last name (+sen, such as John Johnson). Mom rose hell and refused to put me through that, so they decided upon another Norse name, Erik. Well, I ended up being a girl. Mom liked Wendy from the Wendy’s commercials, but decided that their ad campaign of “Wendy’s Hot and Juicy” wasn’t really appropriate for a little girl. So, they just took their lovely Norwegian boy’s name of Erik and made it into Erika.

Due to our lesser common spellings of both first and last names, my sister and I have gone on to lead lives full of having our names misspelled and politely correcting those who have done so.

March 9, 2010 at 5:41 pm

• 73.  Elizabeth

When I had my second set of twin boys, who were called baby c and baby d ( Baby A and B were the first set of twins born 18 months earlier Alex and Ben) I realized my chosen names Christopher and Drew would make an alphabetical list, to this day Tom (named after the high-risk OB I saw) wishes I had stuck to the name Christopher. I’d already been asked if there would be a baby f and baby g so I just could not follow that path. There is a long history of twins in my family- I was named so my initials would match my twin brother and I have cousins who only have a single syllable to themselves Michelle Marie and Rochelle Marie. I did not want to match initials or rhyme my children. Two sets of twins in 18 months made them stick out enough. By the way I made certain there would not be babies f and g or any more!

March 10, 2010 at 12:32 pm

• 74.  Halley

My mom worked with a lady whose sister was named Halley (like Halle Berry), and the name always stuck out to her. When my parents found out I was a girl, my mom brought up “Halley” as a possibility and my dad revealed that his best friend in elementary had been named “Halley” before she moved away…. to my mom’s hometown! It was the same Halley!
      Growing up I wanted to change my name because it was never on pencils or anything, but now I can’t imagine being anything but a Halley!

March 10, 2010 at 6:04 pm

• 75.  Amber

Naming my son was easy, William Joseph, named after his three grandfathers, luckily two shared a name. Naming my daughter, not so easy. I wanted to name her Lily Justine, or Stella Siobban but my husband vetoed both, after previously agreeing that I could pick the name. He also vetoed dozens of other names…no kidding. When my faves had all been kicked out of the running I bought a name book and began to compile lists. Finally…finally I tossed out Imogene(pronounced emmajean) and he actually liked that because his middle name is Eugene and one of his daughters middle name is Gene. After racking our brains for a couple of hours on a name to go with it, he out of the blue suggested Katelyn, so that’s how we ended up with a Katelyn Imogene.

March 10, 2010 at 6:09 pm

• 76.  Kelly J

I’m adopted so they had mere hours to name me… phone call, got on a plane, had to make decisions. They had wanted a really Irish name and favored Bridget but last minute were afraid I’d be short and “Bridget the Midget.” They went with Kelly.

Smelly Kelly knows no height. And I’m 5’7″. So yea, I harbor some bitterness.

March 10, 2010 at 10:11 pm

• 77.  Diana

My name was supposed to be Rhonda. My dad’s name is Ronnie, and my mom’s name is Linda, so they thought it would be cute to call me Rhon-da. My aunt was pregnant with my cousin at the same time as my mom was pregnant with me. My mom told my aunt about the name she and my dad came up with. My cousin was born first, and my aunt named her…yes, you guessed it–Rhonda! My mom was royally pissed. My dad had to come up with a name pretty fast. He chose Helen Diana. I am very happy with my name, and thankful that things happened the way that they did.

March 11, 2010 at 12:43 am

• 78.  Kaula

My mother decided to name me after a character in her favorite soap opera at the time (Days of Our Lives). I believe the character was actually evil in the show but she really liked the name Kayla. Only she didn’t think it was unique enough and switched the ‘y’ with a ‘u’. I’m forever correcting people who can’t spell, or pronounce, my name.

March 11, 2010 at 11:24 am

• 79.  Nicole

My mom named me Nicole, it was that or Gretchen, and I am soo glad they went with Nicole. My mom’s name is Terryl, and my grandma says grandpa was looking through the obituaries and a woman named Terryl had died the same week my mom was born.. thus a Terryl was born.

March 11, 2010 at 6:44 pm

• 80.  Mili

I love this story, as told by my mother of the naming of my sister. She was to be named Kitty, after an aunt. This was back in the late 40′s, and they had someone come in to fill in the paper work.

This woman comes to my mom and the following conversation took place.

Employee: And what would you like to name the child?
      Mom: Kitty
      Employee: Is that Kathy with a K, or Cathy, with a C?
      Mom: It’s Kitty, with a K.
      Employee: Is that Katherine with a K or Catherine with a C?
      Mom: It will be Kitty. With a K..I..T..T..Y. …
      Employee: Is that Cathleen with a C or Kathleen with a K?
      Mom: Look, we can go about this for a long time. I want her name to be Kitty. She’s being named after a Rich Aunt.
      Employee: Oh, Kitty. Ok, that’s fine then.

March 12, 2010 at 11:38 am

• 81.  Keely

I am named after a jazz singer from the 40′s Keely Smith. My grandma just loved the name, and actually before I was born they (she and my mom) had both a cat and a lamb of the same name. Occasionally my dad says I am named after the French Skier Jean Claude Keelee (sp?) but I prefer the former explanation. My middle name is the same as my mother’s, Elizabeth.

Keely is an irish name meaning “so beautiful not even a poet can describe”

March 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm

• 82.  Lucy

I was going to be Daniel… but then I was a girl. My mom wanted Sarah, and still swears that she spent days standing over my incubator saying “Sarah… Lucy… Sarah… Lucy.” I’m very glad my parents ended up with a name which is unusual for where I grew up (I always do double-takes when in England.) The issue of namesakes also comes in here: my dad associated Lucy with the Chronicles of Narnia; my mom associated it with Peanuts…! My full name is Lucy Christine, for “Light of Christ” … no pressure!!

March 12, 2010 at 9:29 pm

• 83.  mindi

My name cane from the book “coffee, tea, or me?” one of the characters was mindy and one leeanne. My mom changed them to Mindi and leane. I love my name, it is not common at all. I did hate all the Mork and Mindy jokes growning up but now it is an easy way to get people to remember my name. Both my children have their fathers middle names in their names. London for my daughters middle name and Blake for my sons first name he goes by his middle name.

March 14, 2010 at 4:54 am

• 84.  Ama

My dad wanted to name me after his mom, but my uncle had already named one of his daughter’s Emily…luckily my mom is a creative mommy and thought my grandmother’s maiden name was beautiful, so I am Amadei. :)
      My middle name is just my mom’s middle name, though.
      If I was a boy, I was going to be Andrew Rocco (great-great granfather’s name + dad’s middle name) which with my last name would have made my initials ARF. My parents didn’t think their cunning plan through, methinks…

March 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm

• 85.  Brandi

My mom had a boat named Sweet Brandy when she was in her twenties. She took it to my sign painter dad, who thought she was so beautiful that he intentionally put something in the paint so that it would wash off as soon as she launched the boat and have to come back to get it fixed. She did, so they picked Brandi for my first name and Alison for my middle. My uncle, who was only 18 when I was born is quoted in my baby book as saying “she’s going to be a real fox witha name like that” :D Foxiness is debatable, but I like my name.

March 15, 2010 at 7:33 pm

• 86.  CJ

My two sisters and I can thank our father for our rhyming middle names. I don’t know what possessed my mother to allow him to do that, but our middle names are Renee, Lanee, and Janae. The first two even have the little accent mark above the first e. Add that to a totally unfamiliar Belgian surname and you have quite the roll call on your hands.

March 16, 2010 at 1:30 am

• 87.  Nyssa

My mom found my name spelled “Nissa” in a baby book that said it was Scandinavian for “Little elf or fairy” and thought it was pretty. But she changed it to a y because she thought it was prettier to write.
      My dad agreed to my name, but my mom didn’t find out until after I was named, why.
      Nyssa is the name of a character in my dad’s favorite TV show, Dr. Who (a British SciFi show). =)

Mom refused to name my little sister after another character from Dr. Who, Teagan. Haha. Her name is Courtney instead.

Both our middle names are our aunt’s names.

March 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm

• 88.  Natasha

We saw the movie “Romeo Must Die” when we first started dating and really liked the bad guy’s name (Kai) and so 5 years later we decided to name our son Kai. My first name is Carmela (after my Nonna) and my second name is Natasha. My mom and dad decided to name me Natasha Carmela but when I was born my dad (a total mammas boy) filled out the birth certificate details and changed it to Carmela Natasha without telling my mom. When she found out, she was furious and vowed never to call me Carmela and thus…everyone calls me Natasha.

March 26, 2010 at 3:41 pm

• 89.  Bethany

Not sure how my mother chose my name. I thought it was fairly uncommon – until I went to a Catholic high school. There were 5 others in my grade!

My daughters are named Serena and Elise. Serena’s name just popped into my head right before she was born. Elise came from my mother in law although we argued over the spelling until I pointed out that her initials would have been A.S.S. had she gotten her way.

I named my son Alexander and thought it was perfect until he was five and I called to him in the doctor’s office. There were four other young boys who turned around and said yes? Ah well, the name does suit him.

I could not imagine any of us with other names. They just work.

March 31, 2010 at 6:11 pm

• 90.  Tricia

I am a high school teacher. If you want an occupation that will ruin hundreds of names for you forever, be a teacher. We named our daughter Mia because a). I had never taught anyone named Mia, and b) it is feminine, and c) it is not shortenable to something dumb, and d) its not too trendy so that there will be 3 other girls in her class with the same name and e) she will probably never have to spell it out like I have to with mine. Although many people think it is pronounced MY-ah rather than MEE-ah. Our son is due on Monday and he will be named Ian for many of the same reasons (other than femininity :o) as Mia’s name was chosen. Short, sweet, not too popular, not too wierd, no funky spelling…etc etc. As a teacher I have one request of people when naming children – don’t give them wierdly spelled names – they will always be mispronounced and misspelled in school and elsewhere. Just stick to the way the name ought to be spelled.

May 12, 2010 at 7:22 pm

• 91.  Jfer76

My mother always claimed to have named me after my father, James Leonard, and swore she thought Jennifer Leigh was the feminine version of that. Since I grew up hating the popularity of my name, I chose something slightly less popular for my daughter, but yet nothing too strange. Ex-husband wanted something Celtic-sounding, though, so we incorporated my middle name into the spelling and came up with Kyleigh. My ex-husband’s name was Nathan and hated the name natalie, so we came up with Nathalia as a middle name. So, our daughter is Kyleigh Nathalia.

May 13, 2010 at 2:43 pm

• 92.  Rachel

My first and middle names are right out of the Bible, Rachel and Ruth. My mom wanted to name me Melissa, which I would have prefered, but Granny put her foot down. My name was supposed to make me a strong woman, willing to follow Christ. It turned around on them though. I am a strong woman, and very religious, just not in their religion!

My oldest is Devon Jamison. I think I got his first name from a book I was reading at the time. My idiot ex picked out Jameson, claiming it was a tribute to his Irish heritage. I’m really glad I changed the spelling b/c my ex named my child after a brand of whisky.

My second is Nathan Daniel. Daniel for his daddy and Nathan because we liked it.

My third is Timothy Scott for his grandpas, and my little girl is Nicole (I like the name) Diane (for my mother-in-law).

If the current bun is a girl, she will be Melissa Rose. Melissa because it should have been me, and Rose is a shortened version of my mom’s name (Rosalie). If this one is a boy I’m in trouble b/c my husband wants to name him after our brothers and I don’t like John Wayne, but it’s better than after our grandpas, Orson Tanner.

May 14, 2010 at 5:37 pm

• 92.1  plethora

“Melissa because it should have been me”. Haha, I like that.
        Maybe one day I will give a girl the name my mother wanted for me.

May 18, 2010 at 6:56 am

• 93.  Amanda

My DAD got to choose my first name, with my mom getting to then pick a family name for the middle name. That’s how it’s gone for their 3 kids, if someone gets their pick for first name, the other gets the middle. They don’t get too many points for originality in my case, and I was born in 1981, and the ONLY spike ever in popularity for the name Amanda is in 1981! haha! That’ll be a name that dates ya quick.

I just remembered… I have a friend whose father named her after an OLD GIRLFRIEND. Hard to believe her parents aren’t together anymore, huh? (sarcasm)

May 19, 2010 at 12:20 pm

• 94.  Claire

I was named Claire becuse my mum thought it would be unusual- of course, every other girl born in ’82-3 seems to have been called Claire for the same reason! Middle names are Rachael, because they liked it, and Monica after both of my grandmothers (middle sname of one, first name of the other) My parents liked ‘Rachael’ so much its also my sisters first name! I was 6 when my youngest sister was born, me and Racheal were allowed to chose one middle name each. I went with Beth, she with Ria, both because they were pretty. If I ever have a child, a girl would be Aoife or Morganna, Cornish names, or Elspeth, Esme, Mabel, Maud- something really old-fashioned. A boy would be Jago, also Cornish, or Josh, Daniel, something classic.

July 11, 2010 at 10:02 am

• 94.1  Claire

And yes I did just mispell my sisters name/my own middle name. Thats why I would chose something easier to spell for my own child!

July 11, 2010 at 10:04 am

• 95.  Sofie

I was named after a foreign movie called Sofie. Some Swedish movie. I love my name. The unique spelling bothered me a lot when I was younger but now I am so glad that the “f” makes my name more original. Sophie is a beautiful name, but it’s too common. I love Sofie. :) :)

July 26, 2010 at 12:19 am

• 96.  Melody

I was named Melody for two reasons, as I was told;
      1) after melody from Josie and the pussy cats (I hated this fact at first, but as I grew older I thought it was pretty cool/silly/funny)
      2) my mom wanted me to be a country singer and thought it would be adorable if my name was Melody “like a pretty song” she’d say. That part I was not so much thrilled by.

My middle names (carol and Joanne) are my mother’s sister’s middle names (also I am thankful my one aunt had Joanne as a middle name. If it had been another musical something, like Cadence or something I’d be so mad. My name would feel more like a novelty, rather than an actual name)

Anyway I love my first name. I think it’s unique (I’ve yet to meet another Melody, thought I know mote exist), it’s not weird sounding in the slightest and I think it’s a name I can be glad to have when I’m 87 because it’s not too young sounding 8).

As for my own kids (if/when I have them) I like the names Franklin and Roxanne because of their transitional qualities from childhood (Frank and Anne) to the teen years (Franky and Roxy) and then into a strong adult name. But I dounno. Ha :D

July 28, 2010 at 11:46 pm

• 97.  Ashley

My parents were hoping for a boy. Instead, they had me. My Papa really wanted to name me “Misty Lynn”. However, my mother told Papa and my Dad that it was a name for a horse, so she chose one of the most popular 80′s names, Ashley, with the middle name Joan after my grandma. My sister is Amanda Lynn (Papa had his way with that one.) And my parents finally had their boy ten years after I was born, Kyle (middle names Ingram Richard).

July 29, 2010 at 10:59 am

• 98.  Dusty Dawnn

Obviously an old thread, but I have to put in my two cents…. My name is Dusty Dawnn, I have NO idea where my mom came up with this or why or what she was thinking. I do know, however, that had her friend not stolen her first choice for my name I would have been Misty May. Not sure which is worse, but I think the uniqueness of being Dusty Dawnn has certainly shaped my personality. With my first name being Dusty, I get a lot of letters addressed to Mr. Dusty

August 31, 2010 at 11:37 am

• 99.  Jami

I have no idea where my mother got my name. But apparently she had a thing for “i’s.” My sister’s name is Jodi. It’s consantly misspelled. And it’s annoying. But my son’s name is Elijah Kole. I wanted to name him Peyton William or Benjamin Elijah. But my husband didn’t like either one. The only name we agreed on was Elijah, and we loved the meaning of Kole spelt with a K. (“keeper of the keys”)

Funny story about my husband’s name though. He had an uncle who died before he was born, his name was Steven. Everyone called him Stevie. Well, when my MIL was pregnant with my husband, her sister in law was pregnant with his cousin. My husband was born first, so he was named Steven. This ticked her sister in law off, so she named her son Steven as well. So when the family gets together, they are called by their middle names, Scott and Matt. (It confused the hell out of me the first time i met them, because I know my husband as Steven, not Scottie.) It’s just odd……

August 31, 2010 at 1:35 pm

• 100.  thetanofa

Born in Sept. 1985 I was supposed to be Ashley, until my mother read Full Circle by Danielle Steel while she was pregnant with me and liked the name of the main character, Tana. When they did the TV movie her name was pronounced “Tah-nuh” instead of “Tan-uh” which is how she named me. I like mine better. I’m also quite thankful I’m not Ashley (no offense Ashleys, I’m just not one, and have never met one I liked), even if I was teased to high hell about my name growing up. Somehow, across three different states in different regions of the country, people associated “Tana” with “Tuna” and that stuck until high school (where thanks to some really funny boys it still showed its ugly head from time to time). Personally, I think being teased about your name is sort of a rite of passage, helps you build thick skin. My little brother’s name is Blade and he was born the same year the movie came out, although wasn’t named for it. My friends call him Knife. It’s just one of those things…

September 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm

• 101.  Lindsey

Lindsey (spelled Lindsay) was a family name on my dad’s side. His grandmother’s maiden name was Lindsay and his uncle’s middle name was Lindsay. My middle name (Ruth) was my dad’s mom’s first name; I was the first girl born after she died.

They named my sister Molly because they liked it (though her middle name, Elizabeth, is a family name on both sides).

December 19, 2010 at 11:40 pm

• 102.  Nichole

Great post however , I was wondering if you could write a
      litte more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
      Thank you!

July 22, 2014 at 9:28 pm

• 103.  basketball gear online shopping

No matter if some one searches for his required thing, thus
      he/she wants too bbe available that in detail, therefore
      that thing is maintained over here.

September 20, 2014 at 3:37 pm

• 104.  Charlene

If you want to take much from this post then you have tto apply these strategies to
      your won web site.

September 21, 2014 at 3:41 am

• 105.  stress definition

My partner and I absolutely love your blog and
      find almost all of yur post’s too be just what I’m looking for.

can you offer guest writers to write content in yohr case?
      I wouldn’t minhd writing a post or elaborating on a few of the
      subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome weblog!

October 4, 2014 at 6:20 am

• 106.  Art

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you’re a great author.
      I will be sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back aat
      some point. I want to encourage you to continue your great posts, have a nice afternoon!

October 6, 2014 at 2:43 pm

• 107.  websites reach

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you could be
      a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will come back later on. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts, have a nice day!

October 16, 2014 at 10:37 pm

• 108.  biolyn

Heya terrific blog! Does running a blog such as this require a lot of work?
      I’ve virtualoly no expertise in codijng but I had been hoping to start
      my own blog in the near future. Anyhow, if you have any suggestions or tips for new
      blog owners please share. I know thhis iss off topic but I
      simply nededed to ask. Cheers!

October 17, 2014 at 1:33 pm

• 109.  http://aglp.com/garrett-sander-day-11/

Although maybe your new laptop iis locked in a Faraday cage
      with no connection to the outside world, threats like the Conficker worm can slip in via
      removable drives. In thhe event you add more your link to your community forum personal, include a
      weblink in your own trademark prevent. Hoow did youu become passionate about what you’re doing
      today.

February 7, 2015 at 7:38 pm

• 110.  weight loss and cancer prognosis

Family and friends may be the best resource
      in accomplishing your goal. However, you should always consider to
      speak with a health professional or even a doctor before trying out this diet.
      Almost everyone desires a flat stomach that looks
      great when in a bikini, but few individuals contain the discipline to
      attain a tiny waistline by taking exercise and proper diet.

September 5, 2015 at 5:48 pm

• 111.  Read Full Article

Flip the card to the correct so it is encounter up.
      For best results, the studying should be carried out at night in a darkish space.
      Pisces A particular amount of unwelcome confusion is about to fade
      absent.

September 8, 2015 at 4:56 pm

• 112.  24 hour plumber waltham ma

Helpful information shared. I’m delighted to read this article.
      thank you for giving us nice information. love this post.

September 12, 2015 at 8:55 am

• 113.  refugiakaplan.bligoo.com

I’d should talk to you here. Which is not one thing I do!
      I like reading a post which can make people believe.
      Furthermore, many thanks permitting me to comment!

September 12, 2015 at 10:21 am

• 114.  Www.Rdatoolkit.org

In addition, these technicians can full certification courses and applications related to advance mastering.

September 13, 2015 at 6:47 am

• 115.  tc 10 treadclimber

Your writing talent is absolutely appreciated!! Thanks.
      You saved me lots of frustration. Great post!

September 13, 2015 at 10:40 pm

• 116.  youtube bowflex

Greetings! Someone in my Facebook group distributed this site with
      us so I came to take a look. I’m surely enjoying the information. I’m
      bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
      Outstanding blog as well as exceptional design and
      style.

September 14, 2015 at 3:32 am

• 117.  Apa purdue owl

Unquestionably consider that which you stated.
      Your favourite reason appeared to be on the internet the easiest factor to understand of.
      I say to you, I certainly get irked even as people think about concerns that they
      plainly don’t realize about. You controlled to hit the nail
      upon the top as neatly as defined out the entire
      thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal.
      Will likely be again to get more. Thanks

September 18, 2015 at 8:03 am

• 118.  Free Download Android Hack

Free Download Android Hack

Today in Mom News: How Did You Choose Your Child’s Name? » Postcards From Yo Momma

October 24, 2015 at 8:40 am

• 119.  Norman

I hate my name ! I was named after my father, which is bad enough, because it meant no thought whatsoever went into my name.Our first daughter we named Brittni, because we liked the name and thought we were being unique with the not so normal spelling (not really), instead of just weird(…yep…lol).. When my second child came around,I thought we were having a son, so I convinced the wife to let me name him after one of my favorite athletes. Well, he turned out to be s SHE, which threw a wrench into everything, but not for long. We just feminized the names, and named her Jordan Michelle, after Michael Jordan. I actually wanted Marina Danielle, after Dan Marino, but my wife put her foot down at that one.

November 7, 2015 at 4:45 am

• 120.  marijuana in canada essay

This article will assist the internet visitors for building up new
      web site or even a weblog from start to end.

February 26, 2016 at 11:12 am