Shouty Crackers

Backstory: These messages happened about 30 seconds apart, my mom had just got a new phone and couldn’t work it!

Mom: ARE YOU COMING FOR DINNER ON SUNDAY?
Mom: DID YOU GET MY MESSAGE?
Mom: HELLO?
Me: Blimey mother, what’s with all the shouting?
Mom: WHAT SHOUTING?
Me: When you text all in caps it’s generally considered to be indicative of shouting!!
Mom: OH SORRY
Mom: NEW PHONE. CANT WORK IT!
Mom: I REALLY AM SORRY. NOT SHOUTING. PROMISE.
Mom: I ASKED YOUR FATHER FOR HELP. WE GOT THE SAME PHONE. HE CANT STOP SHOUTING EITHER!

• 1.  Emma Gardener

Oh blessed technology!! We do the best we can and as soon as we really have one phone down, it’s history and we need another. Remember the old days with the phone with a cord in the wall, talking to your friends in front of the whole family and your father yelling at you to get off the phone all the time….too funny how things have changed!!

May 25, 2010 at 12:05 am

• 2.  Lizzie

YAY!! This is my submission – it should say MUM because we are British! lol. Soooo funny when I was getting the texts from my mum – she’s technologically challenged!!

May 25, 2010 at 5:35 am

• 3.  Terry

Very sweet. Sounds like my folks.

May 25, 2010 at 11:52 am

• 4.  jess

@Lizzie, we Americanize all our lovely British submissions, just so everything is in a uniform style. Thanks for your mom’s hilarious texts!

May 26, 2010 at 8:08 am

• 4.1  H

I vote for not “Americanizing” submissions; doesn’t that seem condescending? I don’t understand the value of a “uniform” style.
        I’m sure that I’m taking this much too seriously…

May 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm

• 4.2  plethora

I’m with you, H.
        I noticed the Americanisation in a postcard I submitted and while it didn’t make a difference in that case, it has stopped me from submitting anecdotes where the fact that I call my mum “Mama” (not “Momma”) is significant.
        Basically, I think changing the submissions is generally unnecessary. Plus, I like my Australian/British spellings!

May 27, 2010 at 12:57 pm

• 4.3  lola

it does indeed seem a tad neurotic ensuring a “uniformed style” in the spelling of the word “mom.”

// stumbled across this site + i must say, i love the concept.

// this post in particular sounds so classically mother-like, left me in stitches.

thanx.

May 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm

• 4.4  Lizzie

@Jess no worries at all – totally understand! Didnt mean to cause a big hoo haa!!! I’m just buzzing you published my mum’s textathon! THANKS PFYM!!!!!!!

(Also, LOL that here we would spell it ‘AmericaniSe’ HAHAHA!!)

May 29, 2010 at 4:17 pm

• 4.5  Dunk

Well, then why didn’t you Americanize “blimey” with “gee willikers” or something then? The last Americans to say blimey were probably pressed into the British navy to fight Napolean.

June 1, 2010 at 1:36 pm

• 5.  Lizzie

(Also, LOL that here we would spell it ‘AmericaniSe’ HAHAHA!!)

May 29, 2010 at 4:17 pm

• 6.  jess

@Lizzie, @Lola, @Plethora, We’ll definitely take it under advisement. We have Americanized from the beginning but didn’t realize it was unpopular! Thanks for reading.

May 29, 2010 at 4:36 pm