Home Cookin’

Mom: did you use butter or oil?
Me: oil
Mom: if the stew tastes bland, add some spices and also add some butter.  My saying is, even shit tastes good if you put butter in it.

• 1.  Lucy

This mom has sound cooking philosophy. Never too much butter, ever.

October 6, 2010 at 1:09 pm

• 2.  Josh

My grandma is always talking about all of these low-fat recipes she makes, then criticizes me for not slathering butter all over the bread when I make grilled cheese.

October 6, 2010 at 1:35 pm

• 3.  Terry

Oh, man. I love butter. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

October 6, 2010 at 2:31 pm

• 4.  L

That is Paula Deen’s philosophy as well!!

October 7, 2010 at 10:03 am

• 5.  Me

Josh- You make grilled cheese without butter?

Fool.

October 10, 2010 at 10:35 am

• 6.  Bratfink

And you have to slightly burn the butter on the grilled cheese to bring the taste out. If it’s not black in places it’s not a good grilled cheese.

October 12, 2010 at 3:33 am

• 7.  Sarah

@Bratfink – that is so true! I thought I was the only one who did that and my mom thought I was crazy and just not paying attention to what I was cooking. Which is also partly true, but how else would I have discovered this?

October 12, 2010 at 9:08 am

• 8.  Anne

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching the gazillion cooking competition shows out there now, it’s that if you slather it with butter – and/or bacon – plus salt & pepper just the right amount it’s hard to go wrong, even for picky palates paid to pass judgment.

October 12, 2010 at 9:30 am

• 9.  Josh

If I knew my “Comment of the Day” would have lasted three months, I would have included the URL to my website. Might have bumped up my traffic a bit. Oh well.

January 7, 2011 at 11:50 am

• 10.  Bmonke

Dude, its comment of the YEAR now. just one thing you said has become a semi-permanent fixture on somebody else’s site, displayed prominently. It’s as though you are a celebrity endorser. You could be rolling in the dough now, if you had simply put ‘©’ at the end of it.

September 23, 2011 at 7:06 pm

• 11.  Josh

I know! I just realized it’s still up here, more than a year later. They should include my comment as a break out quote in the next book.

And I still don’t use butter when I make grilled cheese. Although my son thinks the ones my grandma makes are better because she uses Smart Balance on them.

October 19, 2011 at 11:39 am

• 11.1  Kira

And years later it still stands!!

April 26, 2013 at 4:00 pm

• 12.  baltimore fire and water damage restoration

Truly hen someone doesn’t be aware oof after that its up to
      other users that they will help, so here it taakes place.

September 24, 2014 at 11:12 pm

• 13.  nike air max 90

I simply needed to thank you so much again. I’m not certain the things I would have achieved in the absence of these strategies shown by you over such a subject matter. It had been an absolute daunting dilemma in my view, but understanding this specialized manner you processed it made me to weep over gladness. I am grateful for this help and as well , pray you comprehend what a powerful job you were getting into teaching the mediocre ones all through your web blog. Most probably you have never encountered all of us.

November 14, 2017 at 5:42 am